Islands that have put Kenya on the world’s leisure map
Posted Thursday, July 5 2012 at 18:01
Kenya’s resorts that have become popular with world famous visitors
- Funzi Keys Resort, located 35km from Mombasa's Diani beach and on Funzi Island, has been voted several times as one of the six best privately-owned islands in the world.
- The Majlis Resort on Manda island’s Ras Kitau Bay is the only five-star resort in Lamu.
- Kizingo Resort on Lamu Island.
- Rusinga Island Lodge on Lake Victoria.
- Island Camp, one of the lodges located in Ol Kokwe Island on Lake Baringo.
Among their visitors are many VIPs, both local and foreign, who have made several repeat visits to the resort.
Transport to the eight-roomed lodge, which sleeps 16, is by ferry from Kisumu through Luanda Kotieno in Uyoma or by chartered flights, which land right on the grounds of the establishment.
What is surprising is the fact that this resort is better known by tourists from outside Kenya than locals, many of who are surprised to discover this gem on Lake Victoria’s Rusinga Island.
Miles away from Homa Bay in Lake Baringo, there are other island paradises. Island Camp is one of the lodges located in Ol Kokwe Island measuring five kilometres by one kilometre in width- and home to the Njemps community.
This lodge offers accommodation in 23 luxury tents set up on rocky outcrops and others under the shade of Acacia trees. The tents are all en-suite and fully furnished.