advertisement

Companies

New twist in KenGen wind farm dispute

Meru Governor Peter Munya. file photo | nmg
Meru Governor Peter Munya. file photo | nmg  

A Meru court has enjoined landowners and KenGen #ticker:KEGN as interested parties in a case in which Governor Peter Munya is seeking to stop demarcation of land for the setting up of a Sh6.9 billion wind plant by the power generating firm.

Justice Ann Mbugua of the Meru Land and Environment Court has allowed a committee of 15 members to represent 9,000 landowners and KenGen as first and second interested parties in the case.

The demarcation of the 18,700 acres, and commencement of construction, has been delayed after Mr Munya applied and received an injunction stopping the process.

Through lawyers Kaume Mukira and Rodgers Rutugua, the landowners from Tigania East Sub County had asked the court to quash the orders.

“We are happy that the ex parte orders granted by the court were not extended today. In essence the demarcation process can continue,’’ Mr Kaume said after the application.

The case will be mentioned on May 29 when the court will issue further directions.

The national government had set aside Sh6 million for demarcation that was set to begin early last month. KenGen has however suspended construction of the power plant due to the land row.

The first phase of the 400-megawatt project was scheduled to be completed by December 2017.

Last month, Tigania East MP Mpuru Aburi called on the government to intervene and ensure the land is demarcated, and prevent the funds set aside for the project being returned to Treasury.

“We have been provided with adequate lands officers, vehicles and other requirements needed but Governor Munya is still opposing the move,” the MP said.

advertisement