advertisement
Corporate

Embu parents cry foul over school fees

Parents in Embu have threatened to pull their children out of secondary schools next term if the government fails to implement the recommendations of a task force on issuing of fees guidelines.

They said most schools had already raised next year’s fees without consulting parents and other key stakeholders because the government is yet to harmonise fee structures.

The county parents association chairman Gibson Wachira urged the government to release fees guidelines as recommended by the task force on fees that was led by former Education assistant minister Kilemi Mwiria.

Speaking in Embu town last Friday, Mr Wachira said some schools had revived banned projects like the school bus fund while students were being directed to buy school uniforms from particular shops.

He said each student was being charged Sh200 activity fee yet the government usually funded schools for such expenses.

“Poor, bright students are being locked out of school since the fees is beyond their reach. We have many illegal levies.

“Schools are presenting fees structures that have not been passed by parents. The government should come to our aid before the first term kicks off,” said Mr Wachira.

The parents said they would move round the country urging their counterparts from other counties to boycott exorbitant fees charged by public secondary schools.

advertisement