advertisement

Society

KIEREINI: A nostalgic journey into Jamhuri High School’s over century-old history

The entrance way and its imposing clock tower and  (top)  view of school building from the gate. PHOTO | COURTESY
The entrance way and its imposing clock tower and (top) view of school building from the gate. PHOTO | COURTESY 

Out of a total 32,000 Indian railway workers imported mostly from Punjab, 6,700 of them opted to remain in Kenya after completion of the railway in 1902, bringing their families along.

Although there was already a nascent Indian community consisting largely of traders along the Indian Ocean coastline, the sudden influx of these Indian families created a new dynamic for the colonial administration particularly as they were here at the behest of the British government, strictly speaking.

The problem of providing education for a sizable number of school age Indian children had to be addressed by the administration.

Jamhuri High School had its beginnings as a nursery school for Indian children on Whitehouse Road (current Haile Selassie Road) consisting of bandas and tin-roof shacks near the Nairobi Railway Station in 1904.