The National Land Commission (NLC) is waiting for Sh200 million to be disbursed from the Ministry of Transport in order to complete compensation of landowners affected by the expansion of Malindi International Airport.
Chairman Muhammad Swazuri said Tuesday that the NLC made the request last October and has been waiting for the ministry to dispatch the funds.
He says the affected families will have to vacate after compensation.
“No one is being relocated. You are compensated to go and look for another place to buy and live. The public should get this one clear,” he said.
“We are waiting for the ministry to release the funds so that we can facilitate the second and final phase of compensation to the families and enable the project to go on,” he added.
He said Sh300 million has already been paid to landowners in the first tranche of payment.
“As NLC, we don’t have the funds. The money comes from the Ministry of Transport and our job is to facilitate the compensation. We are waiting for the second disbursement of Sh200 million to compensate the remaining families,” he said.
The Sh5.6 billion expansion of Malindi International Airport has affected 300 families living near Kwa Chocha area.
A local community-based organisation, Mtangani CBO, last year claimed that the expansion project would result in demolition of 4,000 permanent and 2,220 semi-permanent houses.
The Sh200 million compensation is expected to pave way for infrastructure upgrade that will enable the facility to handle direct flights from Europe.