advertisement

Economy

Machakos lose Sh874m in Sports ministry stadia row

WORKS AT NYAYO NATIONAL STADIUM IN SEPTEMBER. FILE PHOTO | NMG
WORKS AT NYAYO NATIONAL STADIUM IN SEPTEMBER. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

The Sports Ministry has surrendered Sh873.7 million out of Sh4.2 billion that is earmarked for refurbishment of stadia identified as venues for hosting the aborted continental football championship following disagreements with Governor Alfred Mutua.

Hassan Wario, the Sports Secretary said the surrendered Sh787.7 million was meant for Machakos Stadium, adding that the upgrade of other facilities must go on because contracts had been awarded.

The Confederation of African Football on September 23 stripped Kenya of the right to host the 2018 African Nations Championship (Chan) because of delays in preparations.

The Treasury has allocated Sh4.212 billion in the supplementary budget for refurbishment of five stadia identified as venues for hosting Chan, and MPs want the cash reallocated.

“Yes we have signed contracts for Chan stadia and contractors are on site. The only window we have is that we go for the Machakos one because  it is undergoing a variation due to lack of agreement between the County Government of Machakos and the Ministry,” Mr Wario said.

He said the county offered an alternative site for construction of a Chan stadium instead of the ministry upgrading the Machakos Stadium that the devolved government had refurbished.

“If they don’t want us to upgrade this stadium that is temporarily made up of metals then and waiting for a disaster to happen, then we can take that money elsewhere,” Mr Wario told a special committee reviewing the mini-budget.

“It will be sad if a tragedy happens and people blame the government for building a temporary stadium that falls below acceptable standards.”

advertisement