Once a big fat Mouse and a lively little Mouse were hopping along together when they had the misfortune of jumping into a pail of fresh milk. They swam for hours and hours hoping to get out somehow but the sides of the pail were steep and slippery and death seemed to be certain.
When the big Mouse was exhausted he lost courage. There seemed no hope of rescue. "Why keep struggling against the inevitable? I cannot swim any longer." He moaned.
"Keep on! Keep on!" urged the little Mouse, who was still circling the pail. So, they went on for a while. But the big Mouse decided it was no use. "Little brother, we may as well give up" he gasped. "I am going to quit struggling.” Now only the little Mouse was left. He thought to himself. "Well, to give up is to be dead, so I will keep swimming."
Two more hours passed, and the tiny legs of the determined little Mouse were almost paralysed with exhaustion. It seemed as if he could not keep moving for another minute.
But he thought of his dead friend, and repeated, "To give up is to be meat for someone's table, so I'll keep paddling on until I die — if death is to come — but I will not cease trying, while there is life, there is hope."
Intoxicated with determination, the little Mouse kept on swimming around and around the pail, chopping the milk into white waves. After a while, just as he felt completely numb and thought he was about to drown, he suddenly felt something solid under him.
To his astonishment, he saw that he was resting on a lump of butter which he had churned by constant paddling! And so, the successful little Mouse leapt out of the milk pail to freedom.
1. There is no failure, expect in no longer trying: Just when you are ready to give up, remember that miracles may always be around the corner. Do your part and keep trying.
2. You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life: Nothing that’s worth having comes easy, so be patient and try harder when it gets tougher, because some dreams in life are worth the wait.
3. No matter how hard your past is, you can always make a new beginning: You cannot look backward to move forward. The way ahead is the way that will help you progress.
4. You can either win or learn, but never lose: You fail only when you fail to learn from your past mistakes. Every hurdle is an opportunity to learn and grow.
5. You live your life only once, but if you do it right, once is enough: Life is too short to live in regret. Live to fulfil your dreams and live to your fullest.