advertisement

Economy

NYS director seeks bail at High Court ahead of trial

Richard Ndubai
Suspended Richard Ndubai, NYS director-general. PHOTO | JEFF ANGOTE | NMG 

Suspended National Youth Service director-general Richard Ndubai has moved to the High Court seeking to be freed on bond.

Mr Ndubai, who is facing multiple charges of abuse of office, conspiracy to commit an economic crime and failure to comply with regulations relating to the protection of public funds, wants to be freed on bail, pending the determination of the trial.

Suspended Youth Affairs PS Lilian Omollo also sought to be released on bail.

Ms Omollo, who is admitted to the Kenyatta National Hospital, also wants her prosecution suspended pending the hearing and determination of the application.

A report filed in court from Dr Stanley Ngare, a consultant physician reads, “She is still not stable enough to attend court proceedings and requires to continue care in the hospital.”

The suspended PS was admitted to the referral hospital on May 30, says the letter.

So far, 47 people have denied the charges linked to the Sh469 million loss at the NYS. Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti denied that accused persons bond stating that the charges they were facing were serious.

But in reply, the prosecution says Mr Ndubai is likely to interfere with witnesses.

advertisement