advertisement

News

Prosecution lines up 43 witnesses in NYS case

Richard Ndubai
Former National Youth Service director general Richard Ndubai (right) with a relative at a Nairobi court last month. PHOTO | EVANS HABIL 

The prosecution has lined up 43 witnesses, among them bank officials, to testify against suspects implicated in the National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.

Appearing before chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti on Wednesday, a State counsel said among the documents would rely upon in the case are bank statements, contracts, vouchers and memos the former Ministry officials issued.

The prosecution also intends to call document examiners, the Treasury officials who deal with IFMIS system, NYS contractors and witnesses from the Public Procurement Oversight Authority (PPAO).

The court heard that other than oral evidence, the prosecution will also use witness statements, electronic evidence and experts.

On Wednesday, all the 48 suspects were present and were taken through bundles of documents, which have been supplied to defence lawyers.

Advocate Stephen Ligunya, representing suspended Youth PS Lilian Omollo, said some of the statements supplied to them had not been signed.

Although the High Court ordered the release of the suspects on bond, about 14 of them are yet to secure their freedom and have filed an application for review of the bond terms.

The High Court had directed the suspects to pay Sh5 million bond, Sh2 million sureties and deposit Sh1 million cash bail to secure their release.

advertisement