Insurance company Liberty Kenya Holdings says it was not affected by the cyber-attack on its South Africa based parent company, which was made public last Sunday.
The local subsidiary said operations of its Kenyan unit remained “unaffected and business continues as normal.”
Liberty Group Holdings on Thursday last week said that none of its rest of Africa businesses had been impacted by the invasion of its IT infrastructure.
It confirmed that its IT systems had been breached on Saturday.
A group claiming to be behind the attack came out on Monday and alleged to be in possession of 40 terabyte of data. It is said that they also demanded a ransom.
“Our team of dedicated IT specialists and security personnel has devoted all their efforts around the clock to ensure that we live up to duty of care to protect our customers and their details. We immediately identified and addressed specific vulnerabilities the Liberty IT infrastructure may have had, ensuring the integrity of our customer data,” said Liberty chief executive officer David Munro.
“We can confirm that we are in full control of our IT environment. To our customers, we totally understand the concerns they might have about the impact of this act of criminality.”
The firm said that none of its clients had suffered any financial losses but warned them to be vigilant while carrying out transactions.