advertisement
Economy

300,000 students miss out on free education funds

Belio Kipsang
Principal Secretary for Basic Education Belio Kipsang. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

About 300,000 learners have not received their capitation after schools failed to provide their details on the National Education Management Information System (Nemis) to benefit from the Sh36 billion disbursed by government.

Principal Secretary for Basic Education Belio Kipsang said, Tuesday that some 500 schools had not provided the requisite details.

Of the Sh36 billion that has been sent to learning institutions, Sh30 billion is for Free Day Secondary Education (FDSE) and Sh6 billion is for Free Primary Education (FPE).

“We shall not disburse any capitation to students whose details have not been put on Nemis by their schools,” said Dr Kipsang.

He, however, noted that the funds will be dispatched as soon as their respective schools load the details onto the system.

advertisement
 

Dr Kipsang made the remarks at Ngong Township Primary School in Ngong Town after inspecting the effectiveness of the delivery of the Competence Based Curriculum in grade II at the school.

He had earlier inspected the status of Form One admission in Oloolaiser High School, also within Ngong Town.

He said the FDSE funds were transmitted through the Nemis unlike in the past when the Ministry relied on the information Principals of secondary schools provided.

He added that the Ministry had disbursed the funds to 3,000 schools to take care of 2.6 million learners.

All students in secondary schools are required to have a birth certificate, which is the basis for registration on Nemis. All students who sat KCPE alsoprovided a Birth Certificate as a condition for registration by Kenya National Examinations Council.

advertisement