advertisement

Society

Model school that was built in rural setting

Deputy President William Ruto (centre) chats with Speaker of the National Assembly Justin Muturi at Kangaru High School    in Embu County. Mr Muturi is an alumnus of the institution. file photo | nmg
Deputy President William Ruto (centre) chats with Speaker of the National Assembly Justin Muturi at Kangaru High School in Embu County. Mr Muturi is an alumnus of the institution. file photo | nmg 

As missionaries parcelled out Mt Kenya region among themselves in the early part of last century, the area that would later become an administrative centre known as Embu fell under the Church Missionary Society (CMS), the missionary arm of the Anglican Church in Britain.

Sometime during World War 1, the CMS established a small primary school for Africans in what is today Embu municipality.

In the early 1920s, the school was moved to several sites near a village known as Kangaru, including what is today known as Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (now Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organisation or Kalro), and the Embu Agricultural Institute before settling at the current District Education Board (DEB) School.

The school remained a typical rural institution and recorded little growth over the years but in a surprise show of camaraderie between the colonial administration and the church, on December 30, 1946, the Embu Local Native Council (LNC) led by their chairman, Embu District Commissioner, Robin Wainwright, resolved to build a school on a self-help basis.